Saturday, November 7, 2015

The Book of Mormon is of great worth today!

As part of the Pathway program that Don and I are enrolled in, we are taking a religion class this semester. We are focusing our study on the first half of the Book of Mormon. This week our assignment was to read and study 2 Nephi 28-33. I love my Book of Mormon because it is well marked from an intense personal study that I did a number of years ago. The insights I had and the things I read in the study manual that were special to me are marked in my scriptures. The few chapters that we read this week are especially loved. I learned a lot when I studied them before and I was reminded of many of those lessons as we went over it again.
The part that I have marked before, that again testified of its truthfulness to my heart this week, and that I want to focus on now, is why The Book of Mormon is “of great worth” to us today. The Book of Mormon was written in ancient times for us today as we see in 2 Nephi 28:2,”And the things which shall be written out of the book shall be of great worth unto the children of men, and especially unto our seed, which is a remnant of the house of Israel.” Then in verses three through fourteen, we are given all the reasons why this is true.

Verse 3 – There will be churches which are built up not unto the Lord.
Verse 4 – They will contend one with another.
Verse 4 – They will teach with their learning.
Verse 4 – They will deny the Holy Ghost.
Verse 5 – They will deny the power of God.
Verse 5 – They will say there is no God today.
 Verse 5 – They will say that the Lord and Redeemer is done with his work.
Verse 5 – They will say that He has given His power to men.
Verse 6 – They will say that the Lord is not a God of miracles.
Verse 7 – People will say that they can do whatever they want and everything will be fine.
Verse 8 – Others will say that they can do whatever they want and God will justify their sins.
Verse 9 – Many will teach false, vain, and foolish doctrines.
Verse 11 – Many people will become corrupted.
Verse 12 – Churches will become corrupted because of pride, false teachers, and false doctrine.
Verse 13 – They will rob the poor.
Verse 13 – They will persecute the meek and poor in heart.
Verse 14 – Because of pride, wickedness, abominations, and whoredoms, almost all of them have gone astray.

These are strong words but they are powerful. As I read them I can see the truth in them. I can look around and see these things happening my community, in my nation, and in the world. It is so wonderful that we have The Book of Mormon to testify of Jesus Christ, to add to the testimony that we read from the Bible, and to guide us as we try to live the way He has taught us in a world that has so many pitfalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment